Monday, April 11, 2016

My Twelfth Thing - Name the Game

Hustle, Hustle, Hustle

I have a freelancing profile, I have a portfolio, I have a pseudonym - but I don't have something that I can work under as a company or agency name. I mean I have options. I have an old name I used on my etsy shop years ago. I have business name from a couple years ago when I was attempting to invest myself into custom invitation work and wedding suite design. And I have a few silly names that I have batted around with family and friends.

But I haven't yet made any of them real enough to stick with them. None of them *fit* me. None of them felt like that comfortable pair of jeans that slip on and make you feel wonderful and look smashing at the same time.

I needed a comfy jeans name.

Really not JUST a comfy jeans name - but a rockstar pair of comfy jeans that are comfortable, make me look amazing yet has too many holes. I like my jeans to break rules (ie: can't wear them to work) and would make the regular stranger look twice and think about my ability to just 'fit in' with society.

Truthfully it didn't take long to find it either. Since many of my previous choices were stuffy and non-representative of my personal style and attitude towards life - I knew my new name needed to be fun and unexpected. It shouldn't fit easily into any boundaries and it should be something that was dear to me. These expectations made it obvious what I would choose as my future moniker.

EepSheep.
(Not actual logo concept)

This was the result of a silly conversation that dissolved into laughter between myself and a longtime friend while chatting at work using emoticons. It was nonsensical but it was full of meaning. It was fun and didn't pigeon hole me into any single design realm as all of my previous choices had done. It was different and against the rules of all business naming conventions that existed. I *want* to stick out.

It was perfect.

So I bought the domain and a subdomain in case I ever decide to journey into a physical design aspect (near what I was doing for Satin and Brass). A few weeks later I made the actual logos.





So now I have my against-the-rules comfy jeans name, a domain and a logo. I am not sure what it means - or what I will be doing with it. But I have it and I have decided that I am going to use to to represent my personal endeavors into the design/development/etc world.

No comments:

Post a Comment