Freelancing!!!
Free-whatting?!
To further
legitimize my attempts to make my side-hustle an actual and realized business attempt and prove to myself
that I am accomplishing real and amazing goals I decided to make a profile on
an e-lancing site. Free-lancing is answering to posted jobs and getting signed to do singular tasks for a described amount of money. e-lancing is
freelancing but done from one of the completely online platforms provided.
Everything I have
read about freelancing said it was worth a try. Supposedly it is possible to
make so much pursuing this business model that you can quit your actual 9to5
and work remotely 100% of the time.
Not just that - 100%
remote work doing something that burns inside me. Design. Could you even imagine?!
So I wandered out to
a few sites and did a little homework on the best platform to work within. I
chose UpWork. I created a profile. Attached my fancy new portfolio and read up
on their terms and agreements. I did some homework on what makes freelancing different
than regular, contracted design jobs.
And then I attempted
to answer some of the job postings.
In a way I couldn't
believe that I was doing this in such a short amount of time. Earlier in the
morning this was barely an inkling of an idea and here I was submitting myself
to the possibility of doing paid design work for complete strangers. Real companies
even. Who am I even trying to be here?!
A designer. That's who.
A designer. That's who.
In the first couple
days I felt I had the hang of the posting submissions and a couple tricks of
the trade, which jobs to answer and which ones to let go. Within a couple days
I had gotten my first few responses. Job posters can reach out in the messages
and ask for additional work links, ask questions to determine your ability to
accomplish their work - or even to just make sure you understood the
assignment.
It was exhilarating
to think that I was now submitting myself on the same platform as some of my
fellow designers. I didn't have the ratings or platform specific portfolio
creds to be ranked with them - but it honestly feels like that is just a matter
of time.
Of all of the things
I know about myself - I *know* deep in my core that I am a good designer - I
just need to put myself out there and start proving it to the rest of the
world.


No comments:
Post a Comment