Monday, March 7, 2016

My Fourth Thing - Website Development

Let’s get technical

I am going to keep the next couple of these a little shorter – I need to catch up on my weeks and that means doing more than one project per week for a couple of weeks.
I’m pretending I can be caught up to week vs. Project number by the end of this week (ie: this is week ten – so I should be on or near project #10). At the end of this week we can laugh together about my lofty goal. J

My fourth thing was the creation of a website.

A close friend of ours has a pretty thriving local construction business. He is usually lined up for jobs for the next year – but one day I realized he didn’t have a website. No website?! How are you getting customers at all? (Hint: It’s all word of mouth)

But while word of mouth advertising is keeping him busy enough he did lament that he didn’t really have an overwhelming amount of jobs to the point to be able to turn down jobs that he wasn’t particularly excited to do. His quality and artistry is amazing – and if he could concentrate more on those things he could shine even more as a custom construction specialist.

So I set out to make him a site.

This would be my first time stepping beyond the ‘get a domain name’ and sit on it since Design School. I had to get a catchy, short domain, find a page set-up, put it all together and then conduct the file transfer to get it online. So those parts are done.



It is still unfinished as I seem to have reached a mental block when it comes to *showing* it to the guy. So that will be my next step – and finishing it out and handing it off will probably be another project (that I should get done relatively soon – so I can move onto my own site).

So thing four is a website for a ‘customer’. J

No comments:

Post a Comment