Tuesday, April 12, 2016

A Re-Cap.


So far I have done only 15 things.

"Only."

It doesn't sound like much. 15. That's not even a very big number. Especially when you know I have completed 15 out of 52 things for my project. I'm less than 30% done.

But I recently went back to my project mission statement and re-read the things that caused me to set out on this journey:


I want to sell designed items on a site - but to create a shop you have to point them to a portfolio to prove you're worthy. 


I want to blog for a professional site - but I have to point to a blog I am already a part of to get the ability to author. 


I want to be in the business of creating beautiful things - but I don't have a name for myself, I don't have a website, I don't have business cards and I don't even have all the skills it takes to do what I envision myself doing. All of this means that I obviously don't have paying customers.

I want to be taken seriously professionally - and gather endorsements and respect on my Linked In site.


Of these 4 statements I have completed a considerable amount towards their successful achievement in just 15 small actions. I have a portfolio, I have a possible blog to use as an example of my writing chops. I have a name and a domain to use for my own design/development business. I have completed 5 online college level courses to up my skills in the areas I viewed as lacking. I have set out on some audacious and hairy goals at work and have (to my knowledge) been demonstrating very good progress towards them.

To complete the four original things I need to finish the following things:
  1. To sell on the site I originally pegged as my goal site to sell digital designed goods I now need to point them to an already operating page where I am selling my designs. I don't remember this being a requirement the first time around - but it seems easy enough. I have operated an Etsy store before and I have *almost* put some of my wall decor design for sale on a fashionable design site. I just need to pull the trigger on these and get them into operation. THEN I need to apply back to my goal site. (That's probably two things.)
  2. Attempt to use this blog as my writing example for my dream blogging job. If it doesn't work then I will need to figure out a different path. Either submit to another blogging site or create my own where I specifically center on Design and Development. (1 thing... maybe 3-5 things)
  3. Create my website. Create my business cards. (2-3 things - because I think I want a new host)
  4. Finish Green Belt successfully. Finish up my mid-year goals. Finish the creation of my site, a site for a fellow friend (that is started but needs wrapped up), and one or two more to prove I have the abilities and development cred I say I have. (5ish things)

+/- 15 more things and I will literally have caught myself up to my peers that have been hustling in one single aspect for the past eight years. Probably not equally on par with them but my side hustle will be legitimate. I will have automated some income, I will be able to creatively express myself in my writing on a platform that is relevant and popular in the industry, and I will feel like I am positively contributing to my 9to5 in a way that I can be proud of. 

I have learned so much about these areas that I was always curious about but never really pushed myself into experimenting in. To say that this project is a success this early in its timeline seems audacious - but in all honesty - it can not be viewed any other way. All of my previous handicaps that walled me off from doing these things a few months ago will be completely shattered

I have learned so much about myself. I have learned what I am capable of. And - oddly enough, completing these 'things' this year has shown me that I wasn't just sitting around doing nothing in the past 8 years since graduation. If that was the case then I would have had to create every portfolio entry from scratch. I would be working in an application where the tools would seem alien and with design concepts that haven't been challenged in years if I hadn't been consistently creating 10-15 comprehensive wedding paper suites. Instead of 5 courses I would have had to do 10 online college courses and years of reading to understand and develop the beginnings of a fully responsive, UI compliant, and SEO ready (structured data) website for my friend.

I am not starting from zero like I felt I was. I have done some things to set myself up for success eventually. To say that all of that previous work is useless and needs no recognition is not fair to the effort invested in these past years. 

I am doing well in my project. I am doing well in life. I am representing my creative side well. I am near the creation of a fully operating and respectful side-hustle. 

I am excited and reinvigorated for my next 15 things.

EEP!

No comments:

Post a Comment